A man from Brockley has been jailed for sixteen years after abusing young girls for decades. 

Michael Murphy, aged 72, from Barriedale in Brockley (b.28.03.46) was sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court today (Friday, February 1).

He was found guilty of ten offences committed between 1980 and 2007 involving three victims, all of whom were known to him.

Police say Murphy befriended his victims’ families and used his connections in the music industry to groom them, offering tickets for concerts.

In 2015, officers were contacted by a victim who told them in the 80s and early 90s Murphy, who knew her parents and regularly visited them in south-east London, had abused her from the age of seven until she reached puberty, often when reading her a bedtime story.

The second victim to approach police did so in 2016 after watching a TV programme about abuse and deciding to come forward. She and her mother first met Murphy while on holiday in Torquay in Devon.

The woman said she felt ‘brainwashed’ by Murphy, who started abusing her from when she was nine. At sixteen she ran away from home to live with him for five years in London.

A police investigation led to a third victim being identified, who told police she was sexually abused by Murphy while travelling to the USA, and later at her home in north London.

Detective Constable Nichola Buckley said: “Murphy is a dangerous predator who sexually abused and terrorised young innocent victims who were in his care.

“Although it had taken many years for the victims to gain justice, Murphy has now been brought to account for his actions.

“I would like to praise the victims for their bravery in helping us put Murphy before the courts.

“I hope this sentence will give them some measure of closure.

“I would urge anyone who has suffered at the hands of people like Murphy to come forward and contact your local police.

“We take all allegations of this type extremely seriously, and we ensure that victims are supported throughout the whole process.”

Murphy was arrested on April 22, 2016 and first trialled in July 2018.

He was then found not guilty of three counts including indecent assault and gross indecency with a child, and on the remaining charges the jury was hung and could not reach a verdict.

The case was re-listed for trial in January 2019 and after three weeks in court he was found guilty.

He has been imprisoned for four counts of indecent assault on a girl under the age of sixteen, two counts of gross indecency with a girl under the age of sixteen, one count of making indecent photographs / pseudo-photograph of a child, one count of raping a child under thirteen and two counts of sexual activity with a child.